Bready or Not: Fruitcake Cookies
This recipe is a fantastic way to use fruitcake fruit mix up without the fuss and time investment of making fruitcake! These are like chewy oatmeal cookies with soft nuggets of fruit.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut or shredded
- 1/2 cup dates chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fruitcake fruit mix about 12 ounces, with chopped red and green cherries, pineapple, etc
Preheat oven at 325-degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening, and sugars. Add egg and vanilla.
In a smaller bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and oats. Gradually mix into creamed ingredients. Stir in the coconut, dates, and other fruit.
Use a tablespoon scoop to place dollops of dough on parchment paper, giving them space to spread. Bake for about 15 minutes. Set on rack to cool. Store cookies in a sealed container at room temperature.
OM NOM NOM